Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hola Barcelona!

Hello all! This is my blog about my semester in Barcelona as well as my travels around Europe hopefully. I'll start with the boring/ introductory stuff. I'm going to Barcelona for Art History. Barcelona is a beautiful city filled with art, history, and culture. (I suggest watching Anthony Bourdain's: No Reservations Spain). I'm registered for four classes; Barcelona: Past and Present, Catalan: Language and Culture, Spanish Art, and Architecture and Painting in Barcelona. Catalonia, the region of Spain where Barcelona is located, has its own language, Catalan. It's a dialect of Spanish with some French. I'd like to think Catalan will be easy, but a new language will be a challenge. My other three classes all relate to my Art History major. I specifically chose Barcelona because of Antoni Gaudi, Salvador Dali, and Joan Miro, three Spanish artists who were at the forefront of the modern art world. I was lucky enough to get an amazing schedule; all four of my classes right in a row only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon to six in the evening. Because I have such an open schedule, I plan to do some travelling. I haven't exactly planned all of my travelling yet but hopefully it all happens. Through my program, I will be staying in an apartment with five other roommates. We'll see how this all turns out!

1 comment: